I Was Featured Here, Buttons,Linky Party Schedule, Contact Me, About Me,Disclosure/Privacy.Holidays

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

ASCP and Wood Icing Two of my Favorite Things

This was previously posted at A Step in the Journey.
                                                                             
I am so excited to share with you two of my favorite things!  Everybody knows all about the wonderful Annie Sloan Chalk paint, but have you heard about Wood Icing?   Wood Icing is a faux finish technique that can be used many ways.  I love this stuff!  It is so easy to use, and the way I chose to use it on this project  gave a raised surface where you would use an ordinary stencil.  It adds depth and makes the stencil pattern really standout.  I have found that these 2 products together are the perfect pair.  :)

Annie Sloan Chalk paint Emeperor's silk, wood icing, and gold gilding
                                                                               
Here is the before picture of my old faithful and used daily little cabinet hutch.  It was painted that lovely country blue back in the day when I first purchased it.  Then it was decked out in hunter green for a few years, and just plain boring.                                                        

Annie Sloan Chalk paint Emeperor's silk, wood icing, and gold gilding
                                                                             
Annie Sloan Chalk paint Emeperor's silk, wood icing, and gold gilding
                                                                                   
It serves its purpose in my kitchen very well, but the green wasn't working since our recent move.  Since it's the perfect "catch all" for my cookbooks, paperwork, etc., it was in need of a re-do and that green had to go!!  Here is how I gave this hutch its makeover.

First, I painted the hutch with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in  Emperor's Silk.  I love that color, especially after it receives a coat of the dark wax.  Here is the cabinet before waxing.  The next step is to choose your stencil and measure where you want the stenciling to go.  I used a stencil from a  previous project that was purchased at Michael's.

using wood icing and stencils

Now it's time to apply the Wood Icing.  It is so easy to use, and has the consistency of peanut butter.  Using a putty knife, apply the icing to the stencil.  Then carefully take the putty knife run it across the stencil to remove the excess icing.  The icing will remain in the grooves of the stencil.  I've found that letting it set for about 30 seconds works best before removing the stencil.  THIS next step is so important, slowly lift off the stencil one section at a time.  You don't want to mess up your beautiful design.

wood icing and stencil

Here is the top half finished with the icing.  
  
wood icing and stencil

Wood Icing dries quickly and easily washes off with water.  Take a wet paper towel and wipe the stencil off after each use.  After completely finishing with the icing, I painted a coat of  ASCP over the entire area.  It could be left like that, but I wanted to add more color so I painted the icing with gold paint.  Yes friends, this part did take awhile.  Especially that bottom part, where I was on my stomach painting that last little bit.  LOL

Annie Sloan Chalk paint Emeperor's silk, wood icing, and gold gilding

The above picture is a close up of the Wood Icing with just the chalk paint.  It adds so much depth and detail.  I love it!!!!!

Annie Sloan Chalk paint Emeperor's silk, wood icing, and gold gilding

 Here is a closeup to show you the details of the icing.  With the surface being raised, painting it is very simple using a small brush.  It does take awhile though, so patience is needed for this project.  The results are definitely worth it.
Annie Sloan Chalk paint Emeperor's silk, wood icing, and gold gilding

                                        Making progress with the painting in the picture below.

Annie Sloan Chalk paint Emeperor's silk, wood icing, and gold gilding

A few more close ups of the details!

Annie Sloan Chalk paint Emeperor's silk, wood icing, and gold gilding

Annie Sloan Chalk paint Emeperor's silk, wood icing, and gold gilding

 At this point, let me insert a great tip I found very helpful!  There is a warning not to rinse your stencils or knives off in your sink for obvious reasons.   A large Ziplock Baggie with a small amount of water in it, makes cleaning the stencil a breeze.  The icing does dry rather quickly so wipe all your utensils immediately after each use and clean up is easy.  Umm yep, I did learn this from experience!

Annie Sloan Chalk paint Emeperor's silk, wood icing, and gold gilding

I love how the icing really makes the stencil stand out. 

Annie Sloan Chalk paint Emeperor's silk, wood icing, and gold gilding



Ok dear friends, this little wall poses huge problems trying to take a  full length picture of the hutch.  It is directly in front of my hutch.  Since moving it is not an option at the moment, (wink, wink, hint, hint to the hubs) the pictures are at angle. Sorry friends.  I really want to take that wall out in the near future and replace it with a column!!!  Like tomorrow!  We really need that extra space around my kitchen table.

Annie Sloan Chalk paint Emeperor's silk, wood icing, and gold gilding


                                                                               
Annie Sloan Chalk paint Emeperor's silk, wood icing, and gold gilding

A few up close photos.  





I love the gold gilding wax with the red.  It adds so much to the cabinet.

Annie Sloan Chalk paint Emeperor's silk, wood icing, and gold gilding

Wood Icing is so easy to use, and worth the time it took to do the stenciling, 
                                                                               
Annie Sloan Chalk paint Emeperor's silk, wood icing, and gold gilding



I love how this turned out! It added so much color to my kitchen.  Here is a before and after one more time.                                                                               

Annie Sloan Chalk paint Emeperor's silk, wood icing, and gold gilding

It looks so much better.  I should have done this a long time ago. 


Thanks for stopping by!  I hope I have encouraged you to add a little "Icing" to your projects.  You will be so glad you did!  If you have worked with Wood Icing, I would love to hear from you.  I have a few more projects to share with you using ASCP and Wood Icing so please visit again soon.  

Kathy

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Great looking piece! Where do you get wood icing? Did you make it or buy it? I would like to try it.

Unknown said...

Thank you! It is so easy to use, and fun to work with. To purchase, you can click on the red wood icing in my post to go to their website. I order mine from http://www.lapetitemaisonmonroe.com/index.php. She is great to work with, and ships super quick. There's great tutorial's on the Wood Icing website. Enjoy and thanks for stopping by. :)

Unknown said...

I love this and have ordered the wood icing and the gold guilding you used on the table. One thing I thought of was it might be easier to paint the gold by putting the stencil on top of it again. You have inspired me.

Unknown said...

I have a similar suggestion to Susan above. Would it be possible to not removed the stencil after applying the ice and then paint the gold? Or is there a reason you have to removed the stencil in the process. Thanks. Love your final product!

Blogger said...

Did you know you can create short urls with BCVC and make money from every click on your short urls.

isaacball said...

Good for house, great piece of art.

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/TeamViewer-General/How-to-Removed-Unnamed-Devices/m-p/46378#M23130
https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/aol-old-email-disappeared/
https://developer.samsung.com/forum/board/thread/view.do?boardName=SDK&messageId=355630&startId=zzzzz~
https://developer.salesforce.com/forums/?id=9060G0000005oxsQAA
https://community.developer.authorize.net/t5/Integration-and-Testing/C-add-settingType-to-transactionRequest/m-p/65354#M39034